Underwater Hunter Certification
The purpose of this specialty course is to actively allow the student to engage in the collection of certain marine objects and to demonstrate and explain the necessary rules of underwater hunting. Prudent and conservative techniques of both aspects must be exercised. The Hunter/Collector Diver Course covers the “how-to’s” of hunting and collection of marine life.
Who this course is for:
- The certified diver looking for more information on proper spearfishing, lobstering, or lionfish hunting.
- Open Water Scuba Diver, SDI Junior Open Water Diver, or equivalent
- Minimum age 18, 10 with parental consent
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Hunter/Collector Diver course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Survey of marine life
- Ecology and conservation
- Collecting techniques
- Spear fishing techniques
- Lionfish Hunting
- Lobster Hunting
*Note: Junior divers (ages 10-14) must participate in Hunter/Collector diving activities with a parent, guardian, or dive professional.
- Learn how the collecting device works; for example, how to load and shoot the spear gun
- Use underwater targets for the student to practice shooting, and reloading spear gun underwater
- Teaching how to hunt for lobster, show some of the different habitats in which you may find the species (if conducting this type of hunting and collecting)
- Demonstrate how to collect a certain species, making sure that all local laws are followed
- Enjoy the catch